CANCELLATION & RE-LET POLICY
The following describes the company’s policy and procedure with regards to the cancellation of a contract and the re-letting of the accommodation.
Situation 1 – Cooling Off Period Cancellations
A student has the right to cancel this agreement by giving the landlord written (by email or post) notice to reach the company within 8 working days of the date the student accepted the offer of the accommodation (12.4 of tenancy terms and conditions). If customers do that, we will retain the booking fee and return the security deposit via bank transfer.
Situation 2 – Student Change in Circumstances (either already moved in but need/want to leave the accommodation / University or student finance cancellation for example)
Unless customers are still within the 8 day cooling off period and have not collected the keys for the accommodation, they will have to pay all amounts due under the Tenancy Agreement unless a replacement tenant is found for the room.
If a replacement tenant is found for the room, we will release the customer from the Tenancy Agreement from the start of the replacement tenant’s new tenancy agreement start date.
If the customer has occupied the room prior to this, they will be charged £50.00 to cover costs of preparing the room for the replacement tenant. If no replacement tenant is found for the room we will be entitled to retain their security deposit until all amounts due under the Tenancy Agreement have been paid.
• The tenant will be bound to the contract until a replacement tenant is found
• When the tenant applies for cancellation, their name is added to the bottom of the cancellation list
• The first person on the cancellation list will be the first to be released if a replacement is found. However, if the tenant finds a suitable replacement for their accommodation themselves, then they will be released when the replacement tenant has completed the process.
• The accommodation account has to be kept up to date to keep the tenant on the list – only tenants whose accounts are kept up to date will be considered for release if a replacement tenant is found.
• There is no guarantee that anyone will take over the contract and the tenant would therefore have to pay for the room in accordance with their contract. In this case, if accommodation costs are paid on time and in full the deposit will be returned minus any charges for damages caused
• It is recommended that tenants applying for cancellation return the keys for their accommodation. If the key is not returned any fines or damages attributable to the accommodation will be apportioned between the occupants and a charge made to the accounts of all key holders.
Situation 3 – No Place No Pay (applicable to 1st year students only)
For prospective first year undergraduate, masters or post-graduate students, if their offer of a place at their preferred University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of them not achieving their required entry grades, they will be eligible to be released from their tenancy agreement.
In the above case the customer will need to supply us with a copy of:
• The written rejection letter from their chosen university/college or UCAS or a screen shot of their UCAS status confirming that the required results were not achieved; OR
• A copy of the proof of acceptance of their new university by UCAS adjustment
Situation 4 – If a tenant requests to terminate their tenancy agreement on medical grounds
1. Should the tenants’ health prevent them from attending their chosen university – this must be provided to us in writing with the relevant supporting documents from a doctor or medical expert.
2. Should the tenants’ health circumstances change to make their accommodation unsuitable prior to moving in date – this must be provided to us in writing with the relevant supporting documents from a doctor or medical expert.
After paying their deposit, we will allow the tenant 8 days to cancel the tenancy contract if they wish to do so. After this period all cancellations must be agreed by all parties. They will forfeit their deposit however we will refund any rent that has been paid in advance that covers the period after the day they officially moved out. If a tenant does not qualify for any of the above criteria, we will agree to relinquish their tenancy agreement if they can source a full-time student to take over their tenancy agreement.
A failure to comply with any of the conditions stated will require tenants to honour the original contract.